Blackmores Pregnancy & Breast-Feeding (G) provides an ideal daily dose of 20 important nutrients for mother and baby including folic acid, iodine and vitamin D3. With omega-3 DHA to support baby’s brain, eyesight and nervous system development and a lower constipation iron.
- 500 micrograms of folic acid which, if taken daily for one month before conception and during pregnancy, may reduce the risk of having a child with spina bifida/neural tube defects
- 150 micrograms of iodine for baby’s brain, visual motor skills and hearing development. Iodine supports the development of normal intelligence and IQ
- Lower constipation iron
- Odourless and concentrated fish oil, rich in DHA for baby’s brain, eyesight and nervous system development.
The Blackmores Difference
All nutrients are important during pregnancy and breastfeeding. The following provides additional information on some special nutrients important during pregnancy and breastfeeding, that are in Pregnancy & Breastfeeding G.
Folic acid – According to guidelines in Australia* this product contains 500 microgram of folic acid, as it is recommended that women of childbearing age take 400-500 μg of folic acid per day for at least one month before pregnancy and for the first 3 months of pregnancy.
*Guidelines for preventive activities in general practice, 8th edn. East Melbourne: Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, 2012.
Iodine – Requirement for iodine is increased during the whole pregnancy, especially the first 20 weeks.
Australian women are typically not receiving enough iodine. The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) recommends that pregnant and breast-feeding women take an iodine supplement containing 150 microgram* daily.
*NHMRC Public Statement: Iodine supplementation for pregnant and breastfeeding women. NHMRC, 2010.
Iron – Approximately one quarter of pregnant women report getting constipated when taking high doses of supplemental iron. That is why Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Gold contains a low-constipation, low-nausea, gentle on the tummy form of iron.
Omega-3 fatty acids – During pregnancy there can be an increased sensitivity to tastes, especially in the first trimester. Odourless fish oil means pregnant women can get the benefits of omega-3s without the fishy aftertaste.
Vitamin D – Vitamin D supports the development of healthy bones and teeth. A review of nutrient intakes in pregnant Australian women suggested that dietary intakes were below recommended levels for vitamin D, while surveys of Australian neonates have shown approximately 40-57% of neonates have insufficient vitamin D levels
B group vitamins – B vitamins support cellular energy production, with vitamins B1, B2, B3, and B5 all involved in cellular energy production. Vitamins B2 and B12 help the body use folic acid.
Zinc, vitamins C & D and betacarotene for immune health support.
Each capsule contains:
- Folic acid: 250 mcg
- Potassium Iodide (Iodine 75mcg): 98.3 mcg
- Concentrated omega-3 triglyceride fish (Containing omega-3 marine triglyceride 150mg as): 250 mg
- Decosahexaenic acid (DHA): 125 mg
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA): 25 mg
- Iron (II) glycinate (iron 5mg): 19.22 mg
- Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D 500 IU): 12.5 mcg
- Nicotinamide: 9 mg
- Ascorbic acid (vitamin C): 30 mg
- Calcium carbonate (calcium 50mg): 125 mg
- Biotin: 15 mcg
- Zinc oxide (zinc 5.5 mg): 6.82 mg
- Magnesium oxide heavy (magnesium 35 mg): 58.1 mg
- Selenomethionine (selenium 32.5 mcg): 81.3 mcg
- Chromium picolinate (chromium 15 mcg): 121 mcg
- Thiamine nitrate(vitamin B1): 700 mcg
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2): 700 mcg
- Calcium pantothenate (pantothenic acid, vitamin B5 2.5 mg): 2.73 mg
- Pyriodoxine hydrochloride (pyridoxine vitamin B6 950 mcg): 1.16 mg
- Cynocobalamin (vitamin B12): 1.3 mcg
- d-alpha Tocopherol (Vitamin E 5.22 IU): 3.5 mg
- Betacarotene: 2.4 mg
- Adults – 1 capsule morning & evening with meals, or as professionally prescribed.
- Not recommended for children under 12 years
This is a Halal product
* No medicinal claims are made or implied for any product and these are being sold as Nutritional/Dietary Supplements. Use as suggested or as advised by healthcare provider.